January 2, 2009

Volleyball!



If you know me you know that I love, love, love volleyball. I have always thought it was fun and would play sometimes in the summer with my friends, but it wasn't until Jan 2004 that I really started playing on a regular basis. When I started playing I was pretty inexperineced. I was learning to set and really could not spike. I was used to the just get the ball over the net mentalily. Not the bump, set, kill!

Over the past 5 years my skills have progressed and so has my playing time. I have played 6 seasons of city league and in a couple of tournaments. I have a co-ed pick up night, a women's pick up night, and in the summer there is sand volleyball night.

It gives me a little exercise and I can play year round. It is fairly inexpensive and only takes four people to play although a few more is preferred.

The past two years I have gotten my husband into it and that has been really fun to do together. He says I can not keep up on the b-ball court so this is a better fit.(He is right I can't). This past fall we even played on a city league team together and the past two summer's we have done tournaments together.

This summer we LOVED watching the US teams play indoor and outdoor volleyball. We watched every game we could. Some times I tell Mark that if we didn't have kids and I had like way better skills I would love to play professionally. Wouldn't it be cool to be like Phil Dalhausser, move to CA with little volleyball experience, start playing on the beach everyday and 4 years later win the world championships.

Well I really wouldn't trade my life, but I do think it would be fun to have mad skills and play lots of volleyball.

The other cool thing about volleyball is all the cool people especially women I have met over the past few years playing. Thanks ladies for all the fun times.

4 comments:

Maile said...

Volleyball was probably one of my frist loves! I played in high school and in college, but I have not been in the best shape to play, but I love it.
It is so much fun and is fun to watch too.
I have to agree with your love!

K. Lou said...

VB uber alles!!

Your son with the ball is so cute! Thanks for making women's night fun! You rock!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't keep up with your posts! When I check them there are like 3 more posts that I've missed...I just have to say with all that volleyball you've been playing, your speed has definately improved!
Anyway, we love volleyball as well Jon is a better V-player than I am, I feel a little more comfortable with basketball than with volleyball; still, I love to play volleyball so "rock on" with the V-playin!

Amber said...

So, speaking of volleyball, thanks for coming last night. Sorry we sucked it up the first game. It was ugly, but I still had fun. I guess I need to suck it up and find a sitter for Wednesday nights.