May 8, 2009

Giant Sand Box or Volleyball Court?

This winter Mark came home and said I got something from work and I have a surprise for you, but you are going to have to wait until it gets a little warmer. I kind of forgot about it and then one day I walked into our little storage shed and spotted some volleyball standards(polls. To tell you the truth I must have been pre-occupied with the boys because I did not think much of it.
With signs of spring Mark let me know about his plan, he had decided that he would not be able to move 5 dump trucks of dirt and keep it a surprise. He was going to put in a full size sand volleyball court. Here is how you install your own sand court.

1. Have a big back yard with so you can make a 30x60 foot court.

2. Remove the grass and dig out all of the dirt at least 8 inches deep.
On the first day of digging the sprinkler lines got cut so he had to re-route them and fix the leaks.




3. Lay down 1800 feet of weed barrier, secure it with old garden decor so it doesn't blow away.
The boys were fun and helpful. Bear loved crawling all on the barrier, eating dirt, getting dirty.

Oot loved trying to nail stakes into the ground, throwing dirt clods, and copying daddy.



4. Bring in 5 dump trucks full of sand.

Oot had a lot of fun playing in the sand mounds. He was really good about staying away from the heavy equipment. I was so glad.


5. Spread out the sand across the court.


6. Dig a big hole and each side of the court, place pipes in it and fill with cement. When it is dry slide poles into pipes, hand net and play ball!
It has rained almost everyday since we put it in. So today was the first day we really got to play on it. It was so fun. We picked out the perfect sand. Not too hard on the feet, no rocks and it packs better then most so you can move! It is like living at the beach, I felt like we were on vacation playing in the sand this morning.
Now I can smell summer BBQ all summer long. Who is in?


13 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow Monica!
That is an awesome court! Too bad we can't come over to play....
So what made you decide to put it where you put it, and at that orientation?

Mama Yo said...

To bad I TOTALLY sink at Volleyball! Looks like your house is the party house this summer!

Amber said...

Jealous! I'm in!

Maile said...

That is awesome bump, set, spike . . . so jealous!

Katie said...

How fun! What a great thing for your family.

I love the beach and sand.
I'll bring the hot dogs!

Leslie said...

Fun!! I would be trying to find people to play all the time if that were in my yard!!

K. Lou said...

So, when is the first bbq?? you better call me!!! I can bring a dish or two. Love it!!

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Call us too, I can bring my famous rocky road brownies! and chips, and salad, just invite us! :)

Tasha said...

That is so awesome that you have a sand volleyball court in your backyard (or a huge sandbox:) How fun!

Eagar Fam said...

I am jealous! That looks like so much fun. If we ever make it up there, we will have to give it a go. What a fun surprise!

Brian or Julie said...

Wow! That is so cool. I love it.

Kylene said...

That is an awesome court! So jealous! You guys are gonna have lots of fun w/that this summer!

Debbie and Boys said...

With boys I can't imagine it not doubling for a heaven of trucks and boys and roads etc...
This is totally awesome! Beautiful!