October 23, 2008

Halloween Dinner



I don't know why this uploaded sideways but I can not seem to get it to upload another way.


The theme for my recipe group this month was Halloween. I found this idea on the Internet and used my own meatloaf recipe. Here are the instructions if you want to try it out.


Meatloaf Mice
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
1/4 c. milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 c onion, minced
1 egg

SAUCE:
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c. ketchup


To decorate:
Carrots
Spaghetti
Raisins/craisons
You can do this with your own meatloaf recipe too.

First cut 2 coins per mice out of the carrots for ears. Then make long thin strips out of the remaining carrots for the tails, one for each mouse. Steam until they are crisp tender. DON'T OVERCOOK!!

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together the ingredients for the mice bodies and shape into 4 little mice shaped loafs on baking sheet. Have them shaped to a point in the front and rounded in the back. Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven or until desired doneness.

Take and cut little slits for the ears about 1/3 from the pointed end. Place the carrot coins in the slits for the ears. Make a tiny slit in the rounded wide end for the tail and place one of the carrot strips in the slit for the tail. Use the raisins for the eyes. Break the uncooked spaghetti noodles into pieces and place around the "nose" (pointed end) for whiskers. Mix ingredients for the sauce. Place a large spoonful of sauce on a plate. Place a meatloaf mouse on top of the sauce to serve.




These are some cookies that another lady made.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I am officially grossed out, even though they look cool. Um, yucko! Also, I can't believe you have my shirt and I didn't even know. I though it was in my trunk still (with my water bottle). Maybe I'll swing by tomorrow sometime to get it??

Anonymous said...

Well if it's supposed to look appettizing...you didn't place. They do look really cool though so I'd definately give you first prize for the appearance and presentation. Hee hee hee hee.

Todd and Amyjoy said...

cute mice but I wouldn't want to eat them. Love the cookies!
My sister made kitty litter cake for her son's birthday. She even served it in a (new) litterbox and served it with a (also new) kitty litter scoop!!! It looked awful but tasted good she said.
I'm not too much into that part of Halloween. I will stick with pumpkins and ghosts :)

Courtney said...

The rats look disgusting , but very cool none the less. The owl bread is really cute, too!