October 18, 2008

Where's Daddy?




In mid September we bought a 4-plex. Mark has been looking for one for a couple of years. He has been looking for a unit that would cash flow. He finally found one thanks to Brett. Ever since we closed he has been tirelessly working on the place. All the tenant had vacated when the bank re-possessed the place and they pretty much left it a mess. Mark has replaced sub floor, patched holes in the walls, laid kitchen and bathroom flooring, layed carpet, painted, cut tree limbs, shampooed carpets, cleaned all day, cleaned windows, made numerous trips to Home Depot and Lowes, established an LLC, opened a business account at the bank with our two children in tow, listed an add in the paper, patched fences,and searched for, wheeled and dealed and loaded and unloaded by himself 2 fridges and 3 oven's. All while trying to screen and find good renters among all the potential renters I was sending to him.

These are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. I know there are many more things he had done for his property in the last month. I have a hard time keeping track from day to day.

He has been working 10 hour days at work and then putting in 2-4 hours at the apts after work. All day Friday and Saturday he has been there as well. On top of all this he has been playing flag football and has also been playing co-ed volleyball with me on city league teams. What a guy! This is why I ask where is daddy? We have missed him and are anxious for him to be home with us again.

As a side note.....After a particularly annoying day spent cleaning he commented that he hated cleaning all day and did not know how anyone could do it. I just laughed and said that is all I ever do. I clean teeth at work and then I clean house at home all while catering to two little boys. He sympathized with me as I sympathized with him.

I am sure grateful to have Mark. He is so awesome. He had never layed kitchen flooring or carpet before this project. He did his research and found we would save at least 50% if he did it himself, so he did it himself. This is what I love about him. He is not afraid to tackle a job himself and save us some of our hard earned money. My dad is like this and it is a trait that I always wanted my husband to have. I feel so blessed.

So here is what you have been waiting for the four-plex. Here are some pictures of them. They are 2 bedroom, 1 bath, have washer dryer hook-ups, extra storage and there is one more available. Interested? Hehehe. We have rented out 3 of them. One is being lived in now and two have deposits down and plan to move in on the 1st of Nov.

10 comments:

Glenda said...

Holy Cow! You guys take big bites! Congrats on the new endeavor & much, much luck.

Isn't it nice to have a renaissance guy around? They aren't in great supply these days. Hug him tight!!

You're pretty awesome yourself, Miss Monica!!

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Wow, you guys are busy. And brave I must say! Oh and what a handy-man you have married. My Dad was as well. I love Todd but I didn't exactly marry him for his handy-man ways. :) Good luck and please blog about how it is going!

DANIELDOOZ said...

I'm impressed with the entire venture! I'm still trying to paint a bathroom--and am about ready to hire it out! Ha Ha! Congrats and good luck with everything! Enjoy the corn maze tomorrow.

Amber said...

I have been meaning to ask you how it was going, but now I don't need to. I think maybe it is in the name, because my Mark is a crazy hard worker/handy man/jack of all trades as well. Isn't it nice to be married to such capable men! Oh and the place looks great!

Dannyel Crane said...

Wait to go Mark! Monika you are so lucky to have such a hard working husband. Cherish him and be appreciative for all he does. Congrats on the 4 plex.

Anonymous said...

I think that is very ambitious, does he ever sleep!? You guys must be getting 20 hour days or something...where are you finding time for all of this and keeping up your own house/yard, callings, hanging out w/ kids; playing F. football, and volleyball, and all the other things life throws at you?(phew) We can barely find time for ourselves. Hats off to ya, and good luck with it all.

Meagan said...

I'm super impressed with Mark- I think it's awesome he's fulfilling the dream of owning property and he's getting it all done along with being a good dad and husband....nice work Mark!!

Tara said...

Oh man, Mark and Chris should chat about this... well maybe they have. Have him ask Chris about evicting someone and then cleaning up after them. SICK.
Are the candles on the cake for birthday 31? Cuz that's the birthday coming up for me in a few weeks.
Kudos to Mark. The place looks great.

K. Lou said...

Hi Monica! Your blog is great! Cutie patootie kids! I love the flossing video. Glad we're linked up.

K. Lou said...

And good work on the apartment project! What a great endeavor!