October 3, 2008

Stand for Something or Fall for Anything

Last week the subject of same sex marriage came up with a group of women all of my same LDS belief. Some were for and some were against same sex marriage. To tell you the truth, I really had not given it a lot of thought. I do not believe in same sex marriage but I really had not thought a lot about the consequences it could have on our society. I don't agree with homosexuality as a practice but I was not sure if I cared whether or not they married. Let them do what they want, it doesn't effect me or my family or does it?
This week I have discussed this issue with many other friends of and not of my religion, I have been enlightened by their points of view.
Tonight I read a friends blog that gave a link to this article. The Divine Institution of Marriage. This article brought clarity to my mind and reaffirmed my stand.
Then I checked my inbox and found a forward urging religious and non-religious people to fast on Sunday October 12th for the 'building block of society,' the Family. It said, "Pray for a positive outcome for California Proposition 8, that hearts may be softened, that understanding and wisdom will prevail, and that marriage will continue to be defined as between a man and a woman to protect families."
I find that I am often times confused about the political issues and canidates these days. I don't (have) make time to research all of the issues. When I do try to tune in I question if I am hearing the truth or just what the media wants me to hear. More often than not I just go about my busy life and forget about political issues. This one has really got me though. I plan on joining in on the fast on October 12th and urge you to do the same. Also read that article, it really puts things into perspective. Where do you stand?

3 comments:

Russell & Jammie said...

I have thought about this subject a lot lately... As we are looking into different options to start our family... adoption has come up. So I have been investigating online. I came across a link that shows awaiting couples. I was blown away at how many couples where of the same sex. It starts with a few that come out in the open with their feelings, and gets bigger, and bigger. It comes on very slowly so by the time marraige is approuched... everyone is use to the idea. But I know in my heart... and it has been confirmed over and over again. We are created in God's image.. Men are to be with women, and women with man. It is that simple. I can not emagine the pain it causes our Father in Heaven to see this being warped into something so evil. Destroying family... the way it should be! It is not fare to the children that are being raised in gay marraige family. I don't have time to go more in debt on this matter. This is scary grounds to be treading on, if you don't know where you stand. This is how people whom are sitting on the fence regarding holy principles will have to make a choice. No more gray... and so many will fall away... that is why it is so important to know were you stand. But then again.. we knew this would happen. It is in the scriptures. It is the beginning of the end. Has been for a while. We are just the ones now that get to say yes or no to the bigger issues!

Unknown said...

Hey, Monica. Came across your blog (Kori and Luke) and just wanted to say hi, didnt get a good chance to talk to you at the meetings. What a great way to spend the weekend, huh? I was pretty "shocked" (maybe thats not the right word) on what some of the ladies talked about the first day.....anyways, love your blog, love the family pics. Have to get together with Jamie and Arriel soon....

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Monica,
Thanks for making us aware of this fast.
Because this is a blog and people can say what they think, I have to ask... Are there actually any women or men in the church in good standing that believe in same sex marriage or that it is okay? If so, they need to head straight for their bishops. It is against everything that the Church teaches about families and is against everything that God has said from ancient Bible times.
I know God will conquer through all this chaos in the world. I am just so thankful that we have the words of the Prophet to guide us and to reiterate all that we know to be true. I believe in the Church and in all and I mean ALL it stands for. Including marriage between a man and a woman.