February 16, 2009

Restitution


Thanks to those of you that left your advice for the shopplifting incident. After much talking about right and wrong and buying and stealing and what happens to people who steal, we took the candy back. He apploigized for taking it from the store and then purchased it with the money from his money bank.

I am not sure if he really learned his lesson or not. He hide the candy from me, but I am not sure if it was he knew he should not have taken it, or he figured his mom would not let him have the candy.

I did not let him have the candy after we purchased it and told him next time if he wanted some he would have to let me know.

Today at the grocery store he wanted to buy the motorcycle guy and motorcycle that he had brought into the store. He put it on the belt and asked the lady to scan it.
So I wonder does he or doesn't he have this one figured out?
I will have to be sure to watch him more carefully, in case this lesson did not sink in.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I think he is probably too young to get the whole stealing concept, but I think he is old enough to understand he did something wrong. And I think you handled the situation perfectly. My friend Rachel's daughter steals ALL the time by putting random outfits, toys, etc. in the bottom storage bin under her stroller. She is too young to understand what she is doing, but so funny at the same time because we have joked that if you really wanted to shoplift, her daughter has is down to a science! She has hauled in some really expensive stuff! Of course, Rachel is an honest person, so all stolen merchandise has been returned.

Kiery said...

I was probably 5 when I stole a candy bar from the old, old Alberston's in IF. Mom found out, made me go back and pay for it etc. Anyway, ever since then I've remembered what happened and the trouble that I got into... However, I don't know that at 3 I would have gotten it. *Shrug* You'll just have to wait and see I guess!