July 6, 2008

Baby Wise?

At six weeks old my baby was pretty much sleeping through the night. I have to give some credit to the book, “Baby Wise” by Gary Ezzo for this. Any of you who have tried it I would love to hear your comments, good or bad. I have used it with both of my boys so I don't really know any different. I do know that it took longer for my 1st to sleep through the night (3 months), but it also took me longer to figure out and get comfortable with the methods the book teaches.

The book basically teaches how to put your baby on a flexible schedule, not being too rigid or too lax. There are also tips like not nursing a baby to sleep so they do not associate eating with sleeping. You follow a sleep, feed, awake pattern.
So I would love to get a discussion going on this one! When I get the, “so are you getting any sleep question” I reply, yes. Then I hear, “oh you are so lucky.” I like to think that I am on to something and being a good parent and that it is not just all luck.
Ok so I just googled the words Baby Wise and found that this is a pretty controversial book. Ohhhh I had no idea. Sites calling the author a cult like guy? I don't know where they get that. There is criticism for letting a baby cry and not giving in to demand feeding. It is hard to follow those but I certainly don't think either of my boys are hurt from a little crying now and then. They are both really happy little children.
What do you think?

9 comments:

Kori said...

Monica- I am so glad you left a comment on my blog! It is good to hear from you, long time no see, I know. your new little guy is so cute, as is mathew of course. I did babywise with both my kids too, and I swear by it. I tell everyone about it because they always ask how are they sleeping through the night so soon. I love it. Good to hear from you, we will have to get together sometime.

Anonymous said...

Monica-
I borrowed the book from Amy, and Eli is now sleeping through the night, and his naps are much better also. Thanks
Heidi

Gunnell Family said...

I agree that a little crying never hurt any child, my kids are happy and they cried at night.

Jessica said...

Amen to baby wise. I love that book. it makes total sense. Especially when you see the results. Ginger was our best example. After letting her cry a few times she would just go straight to sleep when we laid her in bed

Tasha said...

Hey Monica!

It was so fun to hear from you and it was fun to check out your blog. Your kids are adorable. It will be fun to see what's going on in each other's lives now. Take Care!

Julie Carroll said...

I am babywise!! I did not do it with my first and she was not a great sleeper. By the time Ava (my second) was 6-8 weeks old she was sleeping through the night. With twins I knew I had to be babywise and it has worked... they both sleep great and have been sleeping through the night (most of the time) since 6 weeks., all I do is lay them down after some awake time and they go right to sleep without a peep. They love their bed. I took babywise with a grain of salt. I basically did the sleep, eat, play pattern but was not as rigid as the book says to be. Got to love sleep!!

Rapp Family said...

Hey Monica,

Your boys are so cute! I really enjoyed babywise as well. I'm not super rigid about it, but I do stick to the eat, wake, sleep cycle. It works great! You all look so happy. Great parenting!

Meagan said...

Hey Monica! Good to see you caved in and started blogging! Your kids are so adorable, they just look like good happy kids! I don't have any comment on babywise yet....but I will have to check it out when the kids come along....if they ever do!!!

Mama Yo said...

I read Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg - She teaches the Eat, Play, Sleep, (mommy time) pattern as well. Logan (nearly 6 weeks) went 7 1/2 hours ONCE. I'd like that to happen more! :)

The library has holds on it's copies. Is your copy available for me to borrow for a week or so?